At the eastern border of the village, a three-arched bridge carries the A1041 road over a small stream. In 1628, the drainage engineer Cornelius Vermuyden diverted the River Don northwards, to join the River Aire. The work was part of the drainage of Hatfield Chase, and the river skirted the eastern edge of the village, to join the Aire at Turnbridge. A "Great Sluice" was constructed where the rivers joined, which included a navigable lock. Following flooding of the villages bordering the new route, a 5-mile (8 km) channel was constructed from Newbridge near Thorne eastwards to Goole, where water levels in the River Ouse were between 5 and 10 feet (1. 5 and 3. 0 m) lower than at Turnbridge. The channel was called the Dutch River, and was not intended to be navigable, so boats continued to use the lock at Turnbridge, until the sluice at Goole was swept away by floods in 1688. Boats started to use the Dutch River, and the channel through East Cowick gradually silted up. The bridge is now Grade II listed, and the parish boundary follows the course of the Don from the road to the Aire.